Monday, December 31, 2018

It is not a resolution. It is just a good starting point.


I don't like New Year's resolutions.We should encourage these behavioral changes throughout the entire year and not just based on an arbitrary annual reflection period. Agreed? Good. Oh, but when to start? Now, today, tomorrow, this weekend, next month? The power of procrastination reaches us all.

So let's be honest with ourselves, the start of the new year is not about making any formal resolutions. It is not a single point in time that forces reflection, bringing clarity to your faults and future that guide your actions. You've known for some time what you will (or need to) start doing. Maybe you've known for a short time - maybe a long long time. Either way, January 1st is that good starting point. What will you start doing?

Notice I didn't ask what will you change? Don't change. Don't create new year's resolutions that imply you need to change. Instead, start doing something new.

Now I realize I said I don't like new year resolutions but, here I am on the cusp of a great starting point to get back to writing this blog again. So here I a go. Thank you January 1st. You sure make for a good time to start doing something (again).

Happy New Year!
(I think I will start saying Happy New Year a bit more, also)

No comments:

Post a Comment