Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Um..and...um..then..um..we...

I recently was invited to speak about different career options to a couple hundred teenagers (I spoke about marketing). I spoke last and was witness to a few other professionals that spoke about their different career options. They were horrible presenters.  Between one person repeating himself over and over again, and his career advice successor using "um" between every, um, word it was, um horrible. Horrible, I mean, um horrible. It was so horrible.... You get the point. 

It was clear that the status quo within the corporate world had wiped out the need (or ability) to put any thought, preparation, or passion into their presentations. It was also very clear that those restless teenagers have nothing to look forward to in their own careers except the realization of their worst nightmare. That life after school is void of emotion, without passion, and drains your soul.

OK, so maybe I am being a bit harsh to prove my point. However, I was there. It happened. And wasn't the first time.

So please learn to speak in front of people. Do it with passion. Speak clearly. Please prepare. Be confident. Your audience will appreciate it.

So..um..thanks for listening...or um, something...I guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment