Monday, September 26, 2011

Just one home run.

Years ago when I played baseball I had the great fortune of hitting a home run during the team tryouts (on the team's best pitcher). The next day a was told I made the team and didn't need to even participate in the Day 2 tryouts. I asked my coach, why? His response is one that I will never forget. He said, "once I know that you have the ability to hit just one home run, it is now my job to make sure you are in the best position possible to keep hitting them."

I give this same advice to many managers I have worked with. That once you know you have someone talented on your team - once they have shown you that they have home run hitting ability, it is the manager's job to make sure they are in the best position to keep hitting those home runs.


And remember managers (to continue the sports analogy) when the team has proven talent and still does not win, they try out a new coach first.

No comments:

Post a Comment