Friday, September 23, 2011

Inception

Sometimes it is necessary to plant an idea. I don't mean plant an idea in just one person's head, but plant an idea into a team or organization. This can be called influencing without authority - for lack of a better term and to put a timely (Hollywood) spin on it, it could also be called inception. And yes, it is possible.

When faced with this challenge in my own professional experience for the first time, it was a slow and somewhat daunting process. I took a mass communication stance, but on an individual basis. Page after page in my notebook, I showed the same diagram I had drawn. Each page represented a different person I had opportunistically talked through my idea - day by day - person by person - page by page. By the time the idea stuck, no one even knew it was my idea, or where it came from. It just existed. It took its first breath and lived on its own.  An idea was born. 


Resolve, repetition, patience, and repeat. Get the idea?


No comments:

Post a Comment